Marriage of a Hindu girl and Muslim boy

Marriage of a Hindu girl and Muslim boy

The "religion" of the marriage is ascertained by the customs and ceremonies performed by the parties therein. A saptapadi ("seven steps") are essential for solemnisation of a Hindu marriage, while a nikahnama along with a qazi and two witnesses, among other things, hold a crucial place in an Islamic wedding. The religion of the concerned wedding will guide the way for application of any personal law, whether Hindu or Muslim, in matters of Adoption, Succession, Divorce and Maintenance, etc.
 The marriage of a Hindu girl with a Muslim boy is possible under “personal law” only under the circumstances where either of the two parties, with their consent, agree for conversion. For marriage to be solemnised under Muslim Law, the girl must convert to Islam. Similarly, for the wedding to be solemnised under Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, the boy must convert to Hinduism. The provisions for conversion have been elaborated under the personal laws respectively.

However, if both the parties insists on retaining their religion they can still solemnise their marriage under the Special Marriage Act, 1954. It is the most ideal way for both partners to get their marriage registered under this Act.
Essential conditions for solemnisation of marriage under Special Marriage Act:

A marriage between any two persons may be solemnised under this Act, if at the time of the marriage the following conditions are fulfilled, namely:

  • Neither party has a living spouse
  • Neither party,
    1. Incapable of giving valid consent to it in consequence of unsoundness of marriage
    2. Has been subject to recurrent attacks of insanity
    3. Though capable to valid consent for marriage, has been suffering from mental disorder of such kind or to such an extent that he is unfit for marriage.
  • The girl and boy should have attained the age of 18 years and 21 years respectively.
  • The marriage must have taken place in accordance with the customs followed in the religion of either the boy or girl.
  • The parties must not fall in the degree of prohibited relationships. Provided that where a custom of at least one of the parties permits for a marriage between them, such a marriage may be solemnised.
  • When the marriage has taken place in Jammu and Kashmir, the parties must be citizens of India domiciled in any of the state to which the Act extends.


These articles are given unreservedly as general aides. While we do our best to ensure these aides are useful, we don't give any assurance that they are exact or proper to your circumstance, or assume any liability for any misfortune their utilization may cause you. Try not to depend on data given here without looking for experienced legitimate guidance first. If all else fails, please dependably counsel a lawyer and fill the query box or call us at +91-8521228202 or drop us a mail at