Due Diligence Check

Due Diligence Documents Check before Buying Property

Underneath said is a checklist of important property documents you have to check before purchasing a property or a house.

Sale deed:

A Sale Deed is the center authoritative archive that goes about as confirmation of sale and exchange of responsibility for property from the vender to the purchaser. A Sale Deed must be mandatorily registered.

Mother deed:

Mother Deed, also known as the parent document, is an important legal document that traces the origin/antecedent ownership of the property from the start (if the property has had various owners). It is a document that helps in the further sale of the property, thereby establishing the new ownership. In case of absence of the original Mother Deed, certified copies should be obtained from the registering authorities.

Mother Deed includes the change in ownership of the property, be it through sale, partition, gift or inheritance. It is very important that the Mother Deed records the references to previous ownership in a sequence and should be continuous and unbroken. In case of a missing sequence, one should refer to the records from the registering offices, revenue records or the recitals (preamble) in other documents. The sequence should be updated until the current owner.

Building approval plan:

A building arrangement is endorsed by the concerned DA (Development Authority) or MP (Mahanagara Palike) or MRDA (Metropolitan Region Development Authority) or IAPPA (International Airport Area Planning Authority) without which the development of the building is unlawful under the State Municipal Corporations Act. A building proprietor needs to get an endorsed arrange from the jurisdictional Commissioner or an officer approved by such Commissioner. Be that as it may, the specialists endorse a building endorsement arrange in light of the zonal order, street width, floor region proportion (FAR) and plot profundity.

Commencement certificate:

A Commencement Certificate is a legal document issued by the local authorities (BDA/BBMP & alike) after the inspection of the site.

Encumbrance certificate:

Simply put, it is a certificate sought for a particular period evidencing the property purchase/sale, the presence of any transaction or mortgage. One should submit a copy of the Sale Deed to obtain an EC.

Completion certificate:

A Completion Certificate is issued by the municipal authorities denoting that the building is in compliance with their rules in terms of height, distance from the road, and is constructed as per the approved plans etc. This document is important at the time of purchasing a property and seeking a home loan.


These articles are given unreservedly as general aides. While we do our best to ensure these aides are useful, we don't give any assurance that they are exact or proper to your circumstance, or assume any liability for any misfortune their utilization may cause you. Try not to depend on data given here without looking for experienced legitimate guidance first. If all else fails, please dependably counsel a lawyer and fill the query box or call us at +91-8521228202 or drop us a mail at consult@beingyourlawyer.com.

Untitled Document